Kenya Fact File
Quick facts about Kenya
Full country name: Republic of Kenya
- Area: 583,000 sq km
- Population: 53,000,000
- Capital city: Nairobi
- Ethnic Groups: Kikuyu 17.1%, Luhya 14.3%, Kalenjin 13.4%, Luo 10.7%, Kamba 9.8%, Somali 5.8%, Kisii 5.7%, Mijikenda 5.2%, Meru 4.2%, Maasai 2.5%, Turkana 2.1%, non-Kenyan 1%, other 8.2% (2019 est.)
- Languages: English, Swahili, indigenous.
- Religion: Christian 85.5% (Protestant 33.4%, Catholic 20.6%, Evangelical 20.4%, African Instituted Churches 7%, other Christian 4.1%), Muslim 10.9%, other 1.8%, none 1.6%, don’t know/no answer 0.2% (2019 est.)
- Government: Republic (multiparty state)
- President: Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta
- GDP: US$95.50 billion (2019 World Bank est.)
- GDP per head: US$1,238 (2019 est.)
- Annual growth: 11.6% (2019 World Bank est.)
- Inflation: 7% (2019 World Bank est.)
- Major industries: small-scale consumer goods (plastic, furniture, batteries, textiles, soap, cigarettes, flour), agricultural processing, oil refining, cement, tourism
- Major trading partners: Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, India, UK, Germany, UAE, South Africa, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, USA
- Visas: Please visit: https://www.nairobi-airport.com/ .
- Health risks: Malaria (except in Nairobi and high-altitude areas), cholera, hepatitis, meningitis, typhoid, schistosomisis, HIV, Rift Valley fever and yellow fever.
- Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 3
- Electricity: 240V
- Weights & measures: Metric
- Tourism: Over 2,000,000 visitors per year